Just Imagine

Feeling chatty?

Welcome to my blog! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and read what's on my mind. I've a vicious sense of humor, an apprecation for romance and a mad addiction to writing.

Friday, June 1, 2012

SIDEBAR...Yawning Dark Fissure in the Sun. The Milky Way is Crashing?



Astronomer's Corner Time!

There is a newly formed fissure in the sun. The Milky Way is colliding (AKA- crashing). An iceberg did flip over. An unmapped asteroid appeared three days ago.

Bet the title of this post got your attention. Very good! Astonomer's Corner is part of my quarterly newsletter and always worth the 'check it out!' While I have your attention, (off topic) this summer is going to be smokin’ hot with romance writers popping in to say ‘HEY!’ and offering up some mad giveaways in my Hot Summer Nights blog event. But for now, in these rare few weeks when I’m crunching to finish my latest novel, it’s super laid back at A Writer’s Mind.

It’s all about the latest and greatest and the wha??? That’s right, the eye-popping stuff.

Because I do take what's going on beyond this planet and right here on Earth very seriously I like to share what I come across. There's amazing stuff going on around us folks. Seriously. So worth paying attention to!

First off, my fav, the asteroid that was discovered shortly before it passed Earth two days ago. Yep, you heard me correctly, this little bugger was closer to us than many of our satellites and we discovered it 24 hours prior. Go technology, go! No pun intended. I think.

Here’s the recap…

University of Colorado Prof. Richard Keen has done something unusual. He observed an asteroid flyby with nothing but optics and the human eye.

SMALL ASTEROID BUZZES EARTH: Newly-discovered asteroid 2012 KT42 is flying past Earth today (May 29th) only ~14,000 km above the planet's surface. This means 2012 KT42 will actually fly inside the Clark Belt of geosynchronous satellites. The 3- to 10-meter wide asteroid ranks # 6 on the top 20 list of closest-approachers to Earth. According to the asteroid's orbit, there is no danger of a collision. Even if it did hit, this space rock is too small to cause significant damage. It would likely disintegrate almost entirely in the atmosphere, peppering the ground below with relatively small meteorites.

Awesome discovery. Thank goodness it was small!

Other cool things (Again, I think. Not too sure.) ….

Iceberg flips.

By Eric Pfeiffer

“A tourist has captured some rare and startling video of an iceberg tipping over. The tourist was traveling on a boat near the Upsala Glacier in Argentina and caught the unexpected moment.”

Very cool. Click HERE to read more and view video! (Worth the watch. You'll probably never see this again. Hope you don't.)


The Milky Way is doomed to crash with Andromeda…

“Our Milky Way is bound for a head-on collision with the similar-sized Andromeda galaxy, researchers announced today (May 31). Over time, the huge galactic smashup will create an entirely new hybrid galaxy, one likely bearing an elliptical shape rather than the Milky Way's trademark spiral-armed disk.” Says Mike Wall.

Click HERE to read more!

And of course, I saved the best for last (until the Venus transit of course).

According to my favorite site, Spaceweather.com

CORONAL HOLE: Spewing solar wind, a yawning dark fissure in the sun's atmosphere is turning toward Earth. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory photographed the "coronal hole" during the early hours of June 1st.

Awesome! I love all of it. Label me odd but I adore all things nature and outer space. Lots of stuff in the news lately!

Be in touch soon with more from the wicked world of romance writing and unusual star gazing. Until then, be good my friends.

xo

No comments: