Just Imagine

Feeling chatty?

Welcome to my blog! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and read what's on my mind. I've a vicious sense of humor, an apprecation for romance and a mad addiction to writing.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The X-Files. 'Do You Really Want To Know?'

Click PLAY to listen as you read. (Gets you in the mood. *winks*)



Welcome! Sorry I’ve been sort of quiet lately. My latest paranormal WIP (Work in Progress) has kept me out of trouble. Speaking of paranormal, when I’m not busy writing and spending time with my fabulous family, I enjoy watching certain programs. As it turns out (probably because I was wishing for it) Netflix went and did something long overdue…

They’re airing the first 100 episodes of The X-Files!!!

In my world, that’s equivalent to the joy I’ll feel when one of my novels hits #1 on the NY Times Bestseller list. It’s just plain ol’ fashioned bloody good news.

So why am I sharing this? Well, it got me thinking about a few things. The first, how much I love the main characters, Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) and Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) The second? How much their characters and the series itself affected my work over the years.

Let’s start with the first, the wonderful characters. I think they’re perfect because they complement one another so well. Scully is the skeptic FBI agent ultimately assigned to The X-Files to debunk Mulder via scientific analysis. Mulder is the brilliant FBI agent who, of course, believes in the existence of extraterrestrial life.

I have always related more with Mulder. He has the same belief system as me. Not to mention he’s got a kick-arse sense of humor. Not bad to look at either. *Sky grins wide*

The truth is he was always a more believable character for me. Why? Because he saw things that were considered unusual and didn’t let others tell him he was delusional. He was a driven character. Yes, his sister was abducted by aliens when they were children but that’s beside the point. It’s all hypothetical. Did I mention he also has a FANTASTIC sense of humor? Win, win…then win some more. I know….focus….

Then there’s Dana. The girl doesn’t back down. In fact, she spits nails half the time. If she isn’t given plausible evidence then forget it. Thinking outside the box is tough for her. But the things she sees during her X-Files investigations very slowly open her eyes.

So how has this series affected my work over the years? Because God knows I’m sure it has. I loved the dynamics between Scully and Mulder. I loved how they interacted through the storyline as it grew more complicated, as it made less and less sense. In its own way, The X-Files was sort of my own little inspiration for how I saw couples reacting in a romantic sense when met with such incredibly fantastic dilemmas…situations that made no logical sense.

I think at root what I appreciate most about these characters was that while they often turned from one another, they always maintained a nucleus of faith in the others beliefs. In essence, they had enough mutual respect to be there for one another.

The skeptic stood by the believer. The believer stood by the skeptic. In the end they found each other.

I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to tap Scully upside the head and yell, “Didn’t you just see what happened? How can you sit there and remain so clinical.” I gave Mulder a lot of pats on the mental back for putting up with it. But I would. I’m the believer. Not the skeptic. THAT is the key. Bet you’re curious what I’m talking about.

Well, the best thing these characters did for me was draw out emotion. THAT is what it’s all about. Two characters who conflict to the point the reader/viewer wants to rant at one of them for not seeing things clearly and scream, “Get a grip!” These characters are going to keep pages turning. Of course, keep it believable but pull out that emotion. For me, that’s the most important thing and it’s precisely what I learned from Scully and Mulder, two characters who loved, hated and so much more.

The perfect paranormal/syfy romance. That’s the X-Files. Thanks for nine awesome years!

For those of you who appreciated the romance that developed between Scully and Mulder, grab your favorite ‘sip,’ relax, put up your feet and watch this video. It takes you back… promise.




1 comment:

Beth Caudill said...

I loved the XFiles when it was on. It was one of the few shows my husband and I watched together. Of course this was prekids too. ;)

I've gotten out of the Truth is Out There mode though. And I have to say I loved it more when it was government conspiracy and less Alien.