Just Imagine

Feeling chatty?

Welcome to my blog! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and read what's on my mind. I've a vicious sense of humor, an apprecation for romance and a mad addiction to writing.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Back to my Roots. A Writer's Inspiration.


Welcome! It’s been a few days since I posted. While life’s been busy the truth of the matter is that I’ve been suffering from ‘Blogger’s Block’ (similiar to writer’s block- except pertaining to blog content. *winks*)

I hope everyone’s having a fun-filled weekend so far. I spent a good portion of the day doing yard work. Here in New England it’s officially time to rake. Okay, okay… it’s past time to rake. Naturally, I waited to do it until we had a good windy day. *rolls eyes* Anyone who has ever raked knows what I’m getting at. Rake a portion of the lawn, breeze comes up and there vanishes your nice leafless lawn. Grrrr. But I got through it and for the most part enjoyed the fresh, cool air and family time.

So why am I telling you all of this?

Well, it was while I was out there raking away that I took the time to really look around at nature. I reconnected, so to speak. It amazes me how fast life goes by. How I drive down the road, walk outside or gaze out the window yet don’t really see what’s around me. The beauty of nature and the forest, the very thing that inspired me to start writing!

I can understand why Robert Frost (his farm is five minutes from me) was so in love with this land and everything it has to offer. I can still remember tromping into the woods as a child to my favorite spot. There I’d sit, spending hours and hours with my notebook (no laptops then!) writing away about everything going on around me.

I remember thinking that it was pure magic. The way the leaves changed colors in the fall and rained down. Then, before I knew it, spring had arrived and a new round of leaves were bursting from their branches. I even enjoyed the frigid months when the branches were bare and they clicked together in the wind as though applauding some grand performance only they could see.

I used to think the trees had secrets and stories to tell. You know what? Many did. They’d seen families come and go. The trees generations before had seen the first settlers arrive. The generations before had sheltered the Native American Indians. To my young mind, if an oak tree dropped an acorn and that became another tree, it kept all the memories of the tree from which it fell. Most likely, this's why many of my stories revolve heavily around nature, magic and time-travel.

The point is that in its own way, I found it refreshing and therapeutic to get back to my roots and remember what first inspired me to write. All writers should set aside the time to do the same. Many probably do. But I’m sure many of you are like me and life just gets too busy to stop and reflect.

I’d love to hear what first inspired you to engage in your craft, be it writing or something else.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend. I can’t believe it’s nearly Thanksgiving!

Best Always,

Sky

2 comments:

Beth Caudill said...

My problem isn't bloggers block so much as no time to write the article when I have the idea. Then by the time I remember to do a blog article...it's a week later and the subject matter is no longer relevant.

Sigh. Blogging is so not for me. ;)

Glad you got outside. I'm playing catchup after having bronchitis. So no outside time for me. Even though we are headed back to the low 70s this week.

Sky Purington said...

Ugh. Bronchitis is no fun. So sorry. My hubby's had it the past week as well.

Get better soon, Beth and don't worry about blogging! (((big cyberhugs)))