Just Imagine

Feeling chatty?

Welcome to my blog! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and read what's on my mind. I've a vicious sense of humor, an apprecation for romance and a mad addiction to writing.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Too Soon For Intimacy? Be Honest.

I had to post about this because it’s been weighing on my mind lately. When is it too soon for the characters in a book to have sex in a non-erotic story?

We’re not talking the number of sex scenes or their intensity but the right ‘window of opportunity.’ Whether it’s behind closed doors or out in the open, I’d like to pin-point the moment when the magic’s right.

I’ve always enjoyed the build-up myself. Like real life, if one jumps into the sack too soon with their partner, it often takes away that delicious shiver of anticipation. And, oftentimes, the relationship fizzles out fast.

But it’s also important to stay true to the characters. In my current work in progress the hero and heroine are dare-devils and eager for the next big rush. Late twenty-somethings. That said, they get intimate a bit faster than most. It almost felt wrong to wait too long with them. I’m still not sure if it was a good thing or not but the thought of removing their first time together seems… off kilter.

So what’s the word? WHEN is too soon in a book? In my case, with this tale, it happened by chapter five. I think on average, things get smokin’ hot by chapter ten. In many cases, chapter thirteen.

This post is all about YOUR opinion. I'd love feedback from readers and writers alike.

When is it time for SEX in a book? Be honest.

5 comments:

Paula Martin said...

I think it depends very much on the characters and their past history/present needs. In my current story, the heroine lost her beloved husband 2 years before, the hero had an acrimonious divorce with his ex-wife. Neither of them, therefore, is in a rush to become involved in a new relationship, so they're definitely not going to jump straight into bed with each other, despite their mutual attraction.

Kimberly Lewis said...

I agree that it all depends on your characters. When I read or write a story I enjoy that build up of sexual tension and don't mind if it lasts chapter after chapter. It makes that final moment worth while whereas if they automatically jump each other in the beginning it kind of takes all the fun out of it. But (if I may offer a piece of advice) you could always have your characters stay true to themselves by attempting to get it on in the beginning but have them get interrupted before anything happens. It may seem played out but I think if you do it just right you could have your readers feeling every bit as sexually frustrated as your characters would be feeling. Good luck to you:)

Beth Caudill said...

I think you hit it on the head. As long as it fits the backgrounds of the characters, you can have their first time together whenever.

I think it's almost more detrimental to wait too long rather than have it earlier. If I keep wondering where this relationship is headed, I'm more likely to bail.

Just remember once they have their first time, you have to build the tension up again.

Anonymous said...

Wow great question!! I'm going to have borrow this for my interviws.

As a reviwer I have read books where they hit it fast and hard and then they run into so many obstacles they don't get back together until the middle again.

Then I've read book where they have this hunger that isn't fulfilled until your quite into the story. And both have worked for me.

I think the whole thing depends on the author. What is the tone of the moment? And what that moment calls for.

Sky Purington said...

Awesome replies everyone! So great to hear feedback like this. One thing remains true in this career... it's super important to keep asking for advice and to never think for one second that we've got it all figured out. Y'all rock! :-)