Just Imagine

Feeling chatty?

Welcome to my blog! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and read what's on my mind. I've a vicious sense of humor, an apprecation for romance and a mad addiction to writing.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Ready to Enter the Debris Field? April 21st!


Ancient Comet Thatcher has sped by and we’re hurdling into her dust!

For my regulars, it’s that time again… Astronomer’s Corner. For those of you joining me for the first time, Astronomer’s Corner is the ‘little extra’ tossed into my quarterly newsletters. As an amateur astronomer, I can’t help but chat randomly about the latest and most fantastical things happening all around our beautiful planet.

This go around I had to share what should be an awesome display in the night sky on April 21st and 22nd. No telescope necessary! So for all you romantic stargazers out there, grab your love and find a cozy spot in the great outdoors for this.

According to Spaceweather.com (one of my all-time favorite sites) “Earth is approaching the debris field of ancient Comet Thatcher, source of the annual Lyrid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on April 21-22; a nearly-new moon on those dates will provide perfect dark-sky conditions for meteor watching. Usually the shower is mild (10-20 meteors per hour) but unmapped filaments of dust in the comet's tail sometimes trigger outbursts 10 times stronger.”

This steadfast comet has been providing Earth with an April space shower for nearly 2,600 years. Yep, all those BC folks were able to enjoy this as much as you can tomorrow night. How cool is that??? Yeah, yeah, label me a space geek. But seriously, you might even see a fireball. Who doesn’t like a good fireball? *winks*

And…as it turns out, Saturn is ripe in the skies. She’ll be twice as bright and visible. So amazing. Sky says, "Bring it!"

Guess where I’ll be for this? Virginia Beach. I can’t wait. So excited!

This video on the upcoming event is two minutes long and really good. Gives you the basic FYI's. Provided, of course, by the fabulous talent over at NASA.

No comments: